The term ‘Textile' is a Latin word which cones from the word ‘texere' which means ‘to weave'. Textile originally referred to a woven fabric but latter on the term textile as well as the plural textiles refers to fibers, filaments and yarns.Textile industry occupies a significant position in our country. In India, this industry enjoys a rich past.
The primary contribution of textile industry :
- Export earning for the country, textile industry occupies16% of the country's export earning.
- Generating employment, second largest employment generator after agricultural sector
- Industrial output sums up to 14% of total industrial production and approximately contributes to 30 % of total export products.
The primary sectors which comprise of the textile industry
- Man made fiber mill textile mill industry
- Filament yarn industry
- Deconcentrated power loom sector
- Woolen textile industry
- Rangoli-Folk Art
- Religion Craft
- Mirror Work in India
- Sculptures from Khajuraho
- Realism in Indian Art
- Chess Game in India