Flower vases, ashtrays, paperweights, coasters, trinkets, showpieces, decorative figures and tea sets crafted into a bewildering array of colors and designs are popular pottery decor. The can be offered as gifts to the loved ones and can be used for interior decoration. Exquisite dinner sets are rich endowments of pottery. They may include beautiful bowls, pots, dishes, spoons, coasters, pans and mugs. Dinnerware designs vary from typical floral to modern geometric patterns. Attractive and colorful the pottery dinnerware truly set the mood for dinner by setting a perfect dinner table.
Ceramics are non-metallic substances subjected to high firing. Ceramic pottery is the most sought after decorative element of the modern day. The unique pottery craft was practiced in ancient Greece, Rome, Japan, China, Africa, Mesopotamia, Persia and India. The bon-fired ceramics molded into beautiful Greek figurines and vessels spellbind with their immaculate artistry and aestheticism. Ceramic pottery can be traced in India from the Harappan age. The potteries have undergone several experiments under the hands of the master craftsmen in several periods of history. Worth mentioning is the ceramic tiles and pottery products of the Mughal era. Quartz powder was applied in the ceramic clays to create a stone like base. They were glazed with various metallic and synthetic substances to bring a soft shimmer. A ceramic design can comprise of beautiful folk motifs, scenic illustrations, traditional female figurines and modern graphical patterns. A ceramic tile design may have numerous themes varying from floral, mythological, religious to abstract, geometric and mosaic patterns.
The designs on pottery may be:
- Linear: These ceramic patterns include stripes, checks, diagonals etc.
- Geometric: These pottery designs are interesting arrangements of geometric shapes
- Floral: These are patterns of flowers, leaves, vines, creepers, stems, trees etc.
- Scenic: These patterns on pottery include landscapes, seascapes etc.
- Animal and human figures
- Abstract designs such as interesting color effects with splashes, dabs, blending and merging of colors etc. These pottery designs do not have a coherent shape necessarily.
- Pottery patterns on mythological themes.
- Chinese designs in the ceramic and glazed pottery contained neat and subtle patterns of bright natural colors. Figural and floral motifs generally characterize the Chinese pottery designs.
The popular techniques used to decorate pottery items are:
- Engraving and carving: Using pottery tools, potters can create beautiful patterns ranging from simple cuts in geometric patterns to complex designs.
- Metal plating: Pottery may be gold plated, silver-plated or copper plated.
- Pottery decoration using glitter, threads, beads, shells.
Pottery designs are not confined simply to patterns that are created on the terracotta object. They also refer to the object being shaped in a stylish manner that is different and more attractive than the ordinary. Taking into concern the tremendous prospect of pottery crafts many people are showing interests in pottery making as their recreational pastime or as a part of their profession. Various books on pottery are available where the techniques of preparing, molding and throwing of clay are described. The pottery plans are useful guidelines that teach on the basics of pottery making in a simple and understandable way